FREE workshops as part of Cupola Gallery’s 30 year celebrations
The first in a series of 10 FREE workshops takes place this Saturday 31 July.
Saturday 31 July 12-4pm led by Jennifer Booth
Venue: Cupola Gallery sculpture Garden
178a Middlewood Road Sheffield S6 1TD
BLUE Lumen : Lumen and Cyanotype Printing Workshop
Inspired by and using the award winning Cupola sculpture garden and silhouettes of the sculptures we will make a sunlight generated impression of the Gallery in a wave of artisan cyan blue ( as a print on fabric) or experiment using photographic paper to make a solar moody photogram.
Cyanotype is a sunlight activated ‘cameraless’ photographic printing process that produces a cyan-blue print: Using film negatives and positives, plant material and a host of other 3 dimensional objects can be used to create interesting and artistic images and marks on paper, fabric and a range of other surfaces able to absorb the light-sensitive chemical solution.
A lumen print is a solar photogram - an image created on photographic paper, exposed by the sun. It began as one of photography's earliest experiments in the 19th century.
Booking is recommended, but not essential as visitors will also be able to ‘drop in’ to have a go. Call 0114 285 2665 or email email@example.com
Drop in sessions throughout the day (30mins)
Who is the workshop is aimed at?
Families, young people and artists : The workshop is suitable for beginners and more experienced photographers alike. You don’t need any previous experience, or access to specialised equipment or cameras.
What to bring (optional): If you would like to do so, bring with you small translucent, glass objects , flowers, leaves, feathers or small unique little treasures. The gallery will also provide many suitable items, so this is not necessary to take part in the workshop.
The series of workshop are as follows:
1. Saturday 31 July: Cyanotype workshop with Jennifer Booth – bookable & drop in
2. Saturday 7 August: printmaking workshop with Sam Groom – drop in
3. Saturday 14 August: Clay workshop with Krishna Alageswaran – drop in
4. Sunday 22 August: Textile workshop with Anne Menary – booking required
5. Saturday 28 August:End of exhibition celebration and 30th anniversary launch. Viv Owen will be offering 15 minute portrait drawings to anyone who’d like one all evening 6-9pm.
6. 2- 4 September – Wayfinders/beacons trail using radio transmission by Graham Shapley
7. Sunday 5 September – Drawing workshop with Jessica Haywood – booking required
8. Saturday 18 September – Jewellery making with Yuka Jourdain – drop in
9. Saturday 25 September – Treasure maps with Shaeron Caton-Rose – booking required
10. Monday 11 October – Performance with Les Petroleurs! - bookable and drop in (evening)
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA